20 June 2008

comments?

So here's the question to the group...

When I was smoking, I smoked about a pack a day. There are 20 cigarettes in a pack and each pack delivers 1 mg of nicotine to your body. I am now wearing a patch that delivers 21 mg of nicotine to my body in 24 hours. So... How is it that i'm experiencing nicotine withdrawal symptoms when I actually am "ingesting" more nicotine each day than before quitting (on average)? And if that is true, then in 6 weeks when I'm supposed to go down to the 14mg patch, will I go through the same crap again? And again two weeks later when I go to the 7mg patch? And again 2 weeks later when I am finally off of the patch? So basically I'm looking forward to 8 solid weeks of feeling crappy, then good, then crappy, then good, then crappy again.

Now, please don't take all of that as an indication of relapse, it's not... It just makes me wonder if the patch thing is actually the way to go.... or whether cold turkey would be better. Sure, cold turkey has to be harder (not to mention tastier when combined with whole grain bread and chipotle mayo), but it means only 72 hours of actual chemical addiction left, and then the breaking of the mental addiction.

Maybe a modified patch system? Only wear it half of the day? Shorten the steps? Or should I just believe the manufacturers (who only make more money the longer I wear it, meaning their true interest lies in me not losing my addiction to nicotine) and go through the whole process...

Please comment below

3 comments:

Katie Kermeen Swisher said...

My mom recently quit smoking after being a pack-a-day (at least) smoker for almost 30 years. She had tried to quit SO MANY TIMES in the past, but somehow this time has finally took. She hasn't even had a puff in 5 months, and she feels GREAT.

Previously she had tried the patch, the gum, cold turkey, fake cigs, etc. She even took prescription meds to try to help her quit. In the end she was successful because she had finally set her mind to it. It's like she just woke up one day and said, "This smoking shit is for the birds. I quit." And so she did. I'm so proud of her.

All of this is to say that I don't think it matters so much what you use to quit - just that you are behind your decision 100%. If you really want to quit, then anything you try should be successful.

That said, I think I agree with you. If you're feeling withdrawal with the patch, ditch the patch and save yourself the money. If you think you can handle it, then go for it! Keep in mind that I am not, nor have I ever been any of the following things: 1) a doctor 2) a smoker 3) a smoking cessation expert 4) Yogi Bear. It's just my two cents...

I think this blog is going to help you a lot. Having family and friends behind you - keeping you accountable - is going to be a great asset. You can do it Keith!

la_florecita said...

I've tried to comment so many times but in order to use my Wordpress account, it wants me to sign in to Wordpress. WHEN I'M CURRENTLY SIGNED IN. I've tried it on 2 different browsers and I've decided it's Blogger's fault. Or Wordpress'. I don't know.

So today is the first time I've been able to comment with just name/url. We'll see if that works.

None of that helps you with your predicament, but I felt the need to vent.

I agree with Katie- it's mental. If you're on the patch but getting more nicotine and still suffering withdrawls, then your body is addicted to the act of smoking, not the nicotine. So to patch or to no patch is up to you.

The good news is that every time you observe a craving and don't give in to it, that wiring in your brain becomes a little weaker!

Chefkeifus said...

Sorry about that.. When I posted the post about commenting, I thought, I wonder if people an actually comment? So I checked, and subsequently took off the restrictions on commenting.