30 December 2008

Chili Sin Carne

ok, so it isn't chili. I know this. But it is a pretty damn tasty chili like substance for those who either are not eating meat, or simply are too lazy to go to the store for a pound of ground round (but happen to have tempeh on hand).

1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup carrot, diced
1/4 cup turnip, diced
1 jalapeño, minced
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 pound Tempeh, cubed
1 cup cooked rice or grain of choice
1 can diced tomato, pureed
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp cumin
Salt and pepper TT
Some water

Sautee veggies in olive oil until softened, add tempeh and sautee until browned. Add tomato purée, spices, rice and water, and simmer until thickened and tasty. Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve with cornbread and ridiculous amounts of cheddar and sour cream.

Notes: I used turnips, because I had them. I used rice, which happened to have a 1/2 cup or so of beans in it, because that was the container of leftovers I had in the fridge. I used Tempeh, because I got a gift certificate to the hippy market and thought it looked interesting. Point being, play with it. Remember, recipes are starting points.

There it is. Please don't revoke my Texan status.

1 comment:

Miranda said...

I think your license is revoked until you can respectfully redeem yourself :)